Your matters are handled by the principals, not inexperienced junior staff.
Financial matters can be a regulatory nightmare. Superannuation rules are complex, trust reporting is onerous and 'getting it wrong' is difficult to remedy. Back9's principals have been working in merchant banking, actuarial, accounting and financial management for decades. Their practical experience is your guarantee of safe, secure and compliant financial protection. The core of our offering is experience. Our reputations are exemplary. Our commitment to you is excellence in all we undertake. Your matters are handled by the principals, not inexperienced junior staff. Speak to a trusted investment manager today.
- Bachelor of Commerce (University of New South Wales)
- Member of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (C.A.)
- Chartered Tax Adviser, Taxation Institute of Australia
- Registered Tax Agent - ATO
- Accredited Financial Planning Specialist - Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Certified Financial Planner (Deakin University)/Member Financial Planning Association of Australia
- Registered Self-managed Super Fund Auditor - Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC)
- Registered Tax Financial Advisor - Tax Practitioners Board
David has 28 years experience in chartered accounting and business advisory services, as well as 12 years experience in merchant banking and funds management. After leaving merchant banking and a further two years general consulting, in April 1994 David became a partner of Walker Laanemaa Chartered Accountants. In April 2005, Walker Laanemaa merged with Millennium Financial Services to become WLM Financial Services.
In October 2006, David established both David Laanemaa Pty Limited and Back9 Capital Management Pty Limited. Back9 Capital Management Pty Limited received its Australian Financial Services Licence (No. 306986) in November 2006.
David’s collective experience and associations allow him to advise clients on all aspects of superannuation, estate planning, investing and funds management, and general corporate advice, together with supporting accounting, taxation and business services.
David has worked with US citizens and their affairs since 2009 and regularly visits with his associates in the US. David has current and former clients (both Australian and US citizens) in Los Angeles, New York, Brunswick (Georgia), Dallas and Houston in the US, Vancouver and Calgary in Canada, and Edinburgh in Scotland.
- Bachelor of Arts (Macquarie University, New South Wales)
- Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries (London)
- Fellow of the Insitute of Actuaries (Australia)
- Graduate – Australian Institute of Company Directors
An actuary by profession, Dennis has led the development of industry leading products and services that led change in the financial services industry by targeting specific customer needs and new ways of achieving customer goals.
Prior to joining Back9, Dennis had the role of chief executive in a number of complex and diverse businesses. Dennis has a track record of dramatically enhancing business performance through leading change programs and driving grass roots organic growth, as well as participating in and leading significant M & A activity that has met expected goals through both revenue gains and expense synergies.
Dennis’ strong financial and technical background is enhanced by well-developed people and leadership skills ensuring all the cultural dynamics of those enterprises were aligned to long-term goals.
Apart from being a director and shareholder of Back9 Capital Management Pty Limited, Dennis’ other current directorships include:
- Swiss Re Life & Health Australia Limited
- Advisory Board Swiss Reinsurance Company Limited (Member)
- IAG/NRMA Superannuation Plan Limited
- OnePath Ltd (part of the ANZ Banking Group)
Dennis is formerly a director of:
- Investment & Financial Services Association Limited (IFSA) 2004 – 2008
- Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia – QLD Division
- Taxation Institute of Australia – QLD Division
- Major operation subsidiaries of Promina Ltd (acquired by Suncorp Metway Ltd in 2007)
- Asteron Life Ltd, Australia & New Zealand
- Asteron Portfolio Services Limited
- New Zealand Guradian Trust Limited
- Member of the Institute of Public Accountants
- Certified Management Accountant
- Certificate in Business Administration – Bermuda College (GPA 3.956)
- Xero Adviser
Originally from the UK, after working in London, Lynne relocated to Bermuda where she worked in the Captive Management/Finance/Insurance industry.
After gaining her CMA designation through Bermuda College, Lynne worked at both Aon (Accountant) and Willis Management (Assistant Vice President) where she managed a portfolio of captive management companies for clients such as Bristol Myers Squibb; South West Airlines; Wachovia Corporation.
After traveling the globe solo for a year, Lynne decided to relocate to Australia where she contracted in both Sydney and Darwin for Citibank; BNP Paribas and subsidiaries of the NT Government. Being made an offer she could not refuse, Lynne then returned to Bermuda as the Financial Controller of the boutique insurance company: Freisenbruch-Meyer Group. In 2013 Lynne made the move back to Sydney with a plan to make this her permanent home and is now an established member of the Back9 Capital Management team.